Army officer is told not to enter his daughter's high school bec – Fox 2 News Headlines

ROCHESTER, Mich. (WJBK) – Lieutenant Colonel Sherwood Baker says he is just a father who was trying to help his daughter find her way at her new high school.

Sherwood, who has served in the Army for 24 years, was told by Rochester Adams High School security that if he wanted to get into the school with his daughter he was going to have to go home and change his clothes.

Baker’s wife Rachel Ferhadson says, “Before he was allowed in, the security guard stopped him and said sorry you’re not allowed in the school. Security told him men and women in uniform weren’t allowed because it may offend another student.”

via Army officer is told not to enter his daughter’s high school bec – Fox 2 News Headlines.

Rochester, MI is a rather upscale suburb of Detroit.

The school system superintendent says he’s solved the issue, and I’d like to think he has.

Before I  put my outrage meter into overdrive, I always like to ask a few questions.

Were the security guards public employees, or were they provided through a third party contractor?

What is the school policy regarding parents and other non students entering the school or campus?

Does the school have a policy regarding allowing military recruiters entrance to campus? Many schools would sometimes restrict campus visits by recruiters, and it is possible the security might have thought LTC Baker was a recruiter.

While we like to know more before we are outraged, we’ll note that very often, persons in security tend to have an overbroad view of their powers, stopping people they have no authority to stop. A common, similar problem, is federal security and police in Washington, DC prohibiting people from filming federal buildings, even though there is absolutely no law against it, and multiple federal court decisions protecting it. And yet, security still stops people.

9 thoughts on “Army officer is told not to enter his daughter's high school bec – Fox 2 News Headlines”

    1. …and did the uniform fit the security officer in a manner that would be offensive to someone who is active duty military?

  1. This is from that same article. I’m guessing this is an update to the article.

    Shaner sent a letter to Fox 2 which says: “The district has apologized for any perception that individuals in uniform are not welcome in the school. The district does not have a policy excluding individuals in uniform and will be working with administration and the firm that handles our security to make sure district policies are understood and communicated accurately.”

  2. “we’ll note that very often, persons in security tend to have an overbroad view of their powers”

    I love that phrasing. Having at one time been a security guard I can confirm that statement. In fact, some of them are so stupid, ignorant and dangerous they should have their own keepers and be allowed to handle nothing more dangerous than a small paper cup of distilled water.

  3. So apparently it is a 3rd party security contractor. Not surprised.

    I’ve worked many years in Private security (and after about 9 years out.. I am again)… and one thing I have always stipulated: 80% of the security guards I would not trust to walk a dog much less provide security for anything. and the other 20% of us have to live with the rent-a-cop / wannabe cop reputation earned by that 80%.

  4. Yep. No surprise here. I have my own recent personal story about such a person as cg23sailor writes about.

    Paul

    1. If only they were limited to Barney’s basic load of ammo the world would be a much safer place.

Comments are closed.