For a long time, NAS Whidbey was known as the best kept secret in the Navy. The island is pretty idyllic. Maybe not so fun for a young single sailor, but a great place to raise kids. Lots of stuff for the outdoors types. Only a couple hours from the big city. And there are few places that have better views.
I’m up in Oak Harbor for my 25th high school reunion. As I drove onto Whidbey Island, I snapped this pic of the fog rolling through the pass. That’s pretty much the only patch of fog in the whole state.
1. We Californians just call it “the Five.” Not “The Eye Five.”
2. California’s central valley may be a wonderful cornucopia of fruits and vegetables, but it makes for a boring drive. Not “West Texas boring,” but still pretty bland.
3. Stockton, CA, a few miles south of the capitol, Sacramento, is pretty much in the middle of the state. Given that, it is a little jarring to see an ocean going vessel there. But they have a real port and everything.
4. Lots of people in Sacto were enjoying the American River. It was packed with boats and tubes and whatnot.
5. Apparently, no one in California or Washington is the least bit familiar with the concept of “slower traffic keep right.” Oregon was reasonably well behaved, except near Eugene.
6. I thought about stopping in Eugene and looking up D*b Fr**ch. (Just kidding- I don’t have a death wish).